Toddler tails are for younger mermaids who aren’t ready for a monofin yet.
Size XS fits ages 2 – 3, and S fits kids ages 4 – 5.
Toddler Tails fit like a skirt
These tails are easy to walk in. The overall fit is looser and shorter for fun and safety. It is normal for feet to show. Note: Toddler tails do not come with Monofins.
Pint-sized mermaid tails for toddlers and little kids ages 2 – 5! Fun for dress up, costume play, or supervised use in the water. Designed for younger children who aren’t yet strong swimmers, the toddler tails are shorter, and fit more like a skirt. They do not work with a monofin.
Size XS fits kids ages 2 – 3. Size S fits kids ages 4 – 5.
If you have a strong swimmer ready for a monofin according to our safety guidelines, you can size up to a child size M, it will be big, but some kids like to pull them up to their armpits and wear as a strapless mermaid dress.
Is Your Child Ready For A Mermaid Tail And Monofin?
Our top mermaid designers and monofin inventors are all parents, too. We know the importance of fun and safe water toys, and work to ensure top safety for your precious mermaids and mermen.
Safety Features of Our Mermaid Tails & Monofin:
- Our tails have an open bottom for easy and fast access to legs and feet.
- Our monofins do not have any straps that close around the ankles. Monofins can be easily tugged or kicked off.
- Our monofins only weigh 1lb and have a neutral bouyancy; they don’t weigh you down.
- Our mermaid tails are made of regular swimsuit fabric, water flows through easily, the tails do not bog you down.
- Parents report younger swimmers learning to swim faster with our monofins. They help create confidence and core strength, but are not a floatation device and must be used under adult supervision.
- Use only with adult supervision. Do NOT leave child unattended while using a mermaid tail and/or monofin.
- Only experienced swimmers should use Sun Tail Mermaid mermaid tails.
- Only swim in water you are familiar and comfortable with. If you wouldn’t swim in the water with two legs, don’t swim there as a mermaid, either.
- Learn the dolphin kick; practice without a monofin first, then with a monofin, then with a tail and monofin together.
If a child is not a strong swimmer and cannot yet swim underwater confidently by themselves, then they are not ready to swim with a mermaid tail and monofin. Our mermaid tails are designed for experienced swimmers only. Adult supervision is absolutely required for every mermaid swim. Children generally quick learners, and in our experience, pick up mermaid skills fast, but an adult should always be nearby for safety.
Sun Tail Mermaid Recommends The Following Skills Before Swimming With A Mermaid Tail Or Monofin:
- Float on her back for 30 seconds
- Go from floating on her front to floating on her back
- Tread water for 60 seconds
- Swim 25 yards and breathe unassisted
- Proficient with the dolphin kick – The dolphin kick is the basic movement required to swim in a mermaid tail or monofin. You can see a video of the dolphin kick here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fntQH9q1xyo
Toddler and “Little Kid” Mermaid Tails:
Our size XS (extra-small) and S (small) are made for little kids ages 2 – 5 who aren’t strong swimmers yet, but want to dress up and play in the water as a mermaid. The tails have a looser fit, and are shorter, keeping their feet free as they learn to swim. They are not made for use with monofins.